Envy Is Not On The Menu

Be kind to yourself. You are doing greater than you think.

The other night while scrolling on Instagram, I came across one of my all time favorite bloggers. A woman in her mid, if not late twenties smiling in her powder room. I remember thinking to myself how luxurious her life is. Having a husband who is with her every second, and both being blessed enough to travel wherever they please. And then something happened.

I realized I was slowly turning into those people who stalk their idols. I was becoming one of those people who compared themselves to social media celebs, praying to God for a break through. I did not want to be that girl. I had never been envious of anything or anyone in my life, and having that sensation left me exhausted. Not being able to enjoy the blessings that were in front of me because I was too busy focusing on what another woman was doing.

Often times like this, the power of envy becomes so immense that it overshadows our true judgement. We become hateful and bitter because we believe ourselves to be more deserving of what the other person has. The truth is, I am only deserving of what I presently have. This gift of living and being able to wake up to a quiet apartment, a secure job and a loving family is more than I have prayed for. Having someone who sees more potential and greatness in my work than I can, is a blessing in disguised. One we often overlook as we have developed tunnel vision and a blind spot for the lesser things in life. And in the midst of a stressful morning, or work day only then do we become appreciative of the simpler life waiting back home.

I cannot emphasize how important it is for us to be kind to ourselves. The love that is generated through that energy, and having the ability to say - damn! I did that. I actually did my thing. Has a more positive effect than frowning upon small accomplishments we would have preferred to be bigger. When you master the art of motivation and understanding, only then will you be more successful in various aspects than the woman you compare yourself to. We are not aware of the struggles and sacrifices each person has taken in reference to their success. However, in the meantime we can learn to love on ourselves. I can learn to be kind to myself.

xoxo,
A.

Comments

Popular Posts