YOGI WHO LOVES YIN: Finding Your Form




Namaste! I have received numerous questions regarding which form of yoga is easiest. As well as if contortion play a major role in the art of stretching. First off, I want to say thank you for showing interest in my blog. And in what I do.

When I got into yoga, I was under the impression that every asana (pose) needed to be complex and perfect. It wasn’t until a friend of mine expressed that yoga is not about perfection or rushing yourself. It is more about focusing, listening to your body and finding a form that is comfortable and healing. With that being said, I want to speak about my love for yin.

Yin Yoga- a slow-paced style of as exercise with asanas (postures) that are held for longer periods.

I came across yin yoga a few weeks after studying hatha. It was the beginning of a journey and I was intrigued by the grace and ease that came with the asanas. An associate of mine had shared how yin was extremely intense. As a person who loves a challenge, I immediately immersed myself in this beautiful form. It amazed me how capable my body was in holding positions, and where it sent my mind. I had realized there was no anxiety or as much fear in standing in goddess, or crowing. There was no fear in bridging or downward dogging. The image that was portrayed by influencers, (you must be flexible and a contortionist), was no where near what yoga truly meant.

Yin bought me out of my depressive and anxious state, and pushed me into a realm of happiness and peace. Mostly, I began listening to my body and identifying stress triggers. With every exhale and asana, I alleviated that stress bumble from my mind and body.



Watching the body grow spiritually and physically is an emotionally amazing event. We do not understand what we cannot see or have not learned. Yin was just the beginning, and unlike hatha, I had gained an immense amount of knowledge and a new perception of what life and the universe was. I am always voicing how yoga is not only a practice but part of living. Simple mantras and movements we do on a daily bases that go unnoticed. You can wake in the morning and stretch your arms to the ceiling, even then you are practicing the art of stretching.

What I’m trying to say is, start with stretching and speaking kind words to yourself. Sit on the floor and touch your toes. Or lay down and meditate. These are all forms of yoga. The only thing that’s missing, and harder than anything is you.

Xoxo,
A

Comments

Popular Posts