MIND OVER MATTER



To be content in a world where greed blinds many is a blessing. It’s an exceptional gift.

A Hurma

This past week has become one of the most hectic of this year. One with crying my eyes out, to fracturing a toe, a huge confrontation and being overwhelmed by adulthood itself. After much time I began running again. I found my outlet to releasing the anger, confusion and sadness that I have often kept bottled in. An adrenaline rush like no other I have felt. Having mental and physical control over my body as my heart pounds beneath my chest. Room to grow and challenge my mental and physical state. Then Sunday came - and I watched that outlet disassociate itself from my life as I hit asphalt. 

 It has been a long while since I put on a pair of running sneakers. A long while since I’ve showed in a park alone during early morning. A long time since I made the effort in meeting new friends. Things that I have recently started easing my way into. As an adult it is very easy to get caught up with the fast moving pace around me. It is easy to forget the girl I once was, the lady I am now and the woman I’m meant to be. Running reconnected me to those things. From the earliest memories of running in the park with my siblings as my mum and aunt prepared food. Running around the track with a few friends praying to make the rugby team. Running around the blue track as my sneakers gripped to it as to hold on for life. I had found where I belong.

I had never been so proud yet sad in the same moment. But fracturing my toe put me in such a mood that nothing seemed to lift my spirits. It felt as if the universe had turned on me, as if God was taunting me for paying more attention to running than to religious studies. However, I know that now to be more bias than true. An individual whom I have recently met, makes it clear to always ask “father” for those things which we want. That it’s best for us to endure certain situations as it serves a greater purpose. A truth I forget the most - especially when wining.

If you’re feeling down today, remember that things can only go up from here. In order for you to rise even better than before, you have to lose one. 

Comments

Popular Posts